After much deliberation I decided to make the move!
Moving a blog from Blogger to WordPress is kind of like moving house… it always seems to take longer than you think and there’s always more to do than you think.
So far this weekend instead of sewing I’ve been wearing my Computer Tech / Web Developer / Web Designer hat lol… nothing like being a independent woman trying to be and do everything my self. Sometimes I think I must be a little crazy but hey it’s all good fun and it’s a learning experience and at least I can manage my own website and not have to rely on others to do it for me or have to wait for the changes I want.
Yeh my websites not perfect but hey is anyone ever totally happy with what they’ve got. Like most of use we always would like to change something about something… if it’s not our website, it’s our body, or our hair, or our face, or our complexion, or ??… well the list goes on and on and I’m sure you know what I’m talking about too.
I was thrilled that I found a way to import all the blog posts I’d made so far and thankfully there weren’t that many as I only started the blog over the Christmas break. I managed to not only import the blog posts but most importantly the wonderful comments so many of you have left for me… comments really are special aren’t they?
To me comments seem to bring a blog to life… kind of like blog fertilizer being sprinkled around to help a blog flourish lol
The more comments you read on your blog the more inspired you are to blog. The other thing I love about people leaving comments is I can’t help myself but click on their link to see what they’ve been blogging about too. Maybe that’s just me but I love seeing what other people are sharing and if time permits not only do I like to visit but I also like to leave a comment… nothing like sprinkling a little bit of comment luv around.
Anyway… back to this chore of resetting up my blog.
Here’s what I’ve done so far:
- Exported Blogger files
- Converted Blogger files so as WordPress could read them. Tried the auto import plugin thing but Nah… didn’t want to work for me so found a way around it after doing a Google search… geez I love Google!
- Imported converted blogger files (it imported pic but only with links to the old site so…
- Found a plugin that automatically downloaded and uploaded all the images that were on my old blog
- Went into each blog post and had to check the images for sizes and adjust a few to suit the current layout I have on this site.
- Now… this has been my biggest time suck… finding a plugin that’s similar to Blogger’s Blog Roll as I can’t live without this feature… I’m addicted to it. It’s so super quick and easy to keep up to date with all the wonderful sewing blog I like to visit. I’ve tested and tried so darn many of the things… and still actually working on it but I’ve almost got this baby cracked or hacked either way I’m getting the latest posts coming up as you can see in my sidebar. Not yet exactly how I want them to look but soooo close 🙂
- Added Categories and Tags – not finished yet
- Sourced, activated and set up various Plugins (about 20 of the little suckers I think – not finished yet and some I’ll probably remove as time goes by)
- Changed Theme – still not right but it will do for now
- Oh and of course I wrote this blog post in between… hahahaha
Still so much to do but the site is up and it’s workable and I can live with it for now
I still need to add the rest of the links to my blogroll that I like to follow. I’ve got quite a few in there already but still a lot more to go… but like they say “Rome wasn’t built in a day” 🙂
There’s a new header to make, some fiddling with the theme colours and fonts but hey… this site doesn’t have to be perfect and I now it never will so I say leave it be for now as it’s not going anywhere.
Now it’s time to enjoy some fun time for the rest of the weekend!
I’m thinking it’s time to see what some of my sewing friends have been up to and will use my Blog Roll… probably add a few more in there as I go as well. Then it’s onto some sewing fun…. and I think it will be a great way to turn of my techie brain for awhile so it can recharge for the next session of playing computer tech/web designer LOL
Bye for now from Chris… “the wannabe tech geek”… I couldn’t help myself but put that one in as this computer techie stuff drives me a little crazy!